House Ear Institute
Be part of our team and mission
The House Ear Institute (HEI) is a pioneering leader in the field of hearing and Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) research. Since 1946 HEI has been committed to its threefold mission of Education, Research, and Global Health. Founded by Howard P. House, MD, and headquartered in Los Angeles, California, the House Ear Institute has been and continues to be at the forefront of new discoveries and applications of clinical and translational research in otology (ear medicine) and skull base surgery.
Led by a dedicated board of directors, top flight faculty, and supported by thousands of dedicated donors and grateful patients, this is your opportunity to come alongside them join us and support a world in which all may hear.
We are seeking a self-motivated, empathetic, tenacious, and strategy minded development professional with experience creating fundraising programs and driving revenue. The position reports directly to the Executive Director, will maintain a leadership role in a growing organization, and will interact directly with the marketing department, staff, donors, industry professionals, and board members. The successful candidate will demonstrate a wide range of development skills including strong project management, successful partnership development, grant writing, a track record of securing both small and large, six and seven figure gifts, and be dynamic communicator. The Development Director will create and implement comprehensive, effective fundraising strategies, and goals to fund the organization’s mission, by creating annual campaigns, securing major and planned gifts, a grateful patient program, and build new relationships with patients, donors, sponsors, and industry professionals. The director will steward existing donors, create new, dynamic partnerships, support staff and drive specific revenue outcomes.
A knowledge of general fundraising principles and a willingness to use them is a must. American Sign Language (ASL) is not required, however a willingness to work with donors who are hearing impaired (and their families) is a must.
- Create, lead, and manage the development program to ensure a comprehensive fundraising approach to fulfilling the mission of the House Institute Foundation.
- Lead major gift identification, cultivation and solicitation efforts.
- Oversee and manage campaigns, in partnership with Executive Director, Board of Directors, marketing department, and staff.
- Develop and sustain both major gifts and planned giving programs in partnership with Executive Director and board of Directors.
- Create a system for prospect management, meeting with staff and physicians to ensure donors are properly managed and engaged. Create a system for identification and stewardship of major gift donors and planned gift prospects. Maintain a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors.
- Create, manage, and produce special events focused on building support and driving specific revenue outcomes.
- Research, initiate, and build new relationships and create new initiatives to fuel the organizations’ growth. Conduct research to identify potential partners, donors, and sponsors. Create pipeline and process to cultivate and engage new supporters. Oversee use of donor database for prospecting, cultivation and relationship building.
- Prepare and maintain monthly reports of fundraising and revenue efforts. Curate data to assist management and board of director with decision making and strategy setting.
- Oversee and ensure donor recognition programs are conducted and modified over time.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related filed, master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in a non-profit or sales setting. Experience with research and medical facilities a plus.
- Successful track record working with donors, corporations, foundations while securing financial support including six and seven figure gifts.
- Successful track record and knowledge of grant writing, submission processes, and research.
- Prior experience in a healthcare setting, non-profit, or start-up preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of fundraising best practices and principles.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including donors, business leaders, senior management, foundations, board members, etc..
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A strong commitment to advancing HIF’s mission and values.
- A dynamic and engaging communicator with the ability to capture an audience. Strong written and verbal communication skills a must.
- Must have the highest level of professionalism, positive attitude, be mission drive, be highly organized, and have a strong sense of humor.
- Willingness to work in an open work environment both as part of a team and leading individual initiatives.
- Willingness to work closely with patients who are hearing impaired and their families.
- The cultural competency to interact with diverse patients of multi-lingual backgrounds.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, strategic thinking, initiative, and business acumen.
- A self-starter and problem-solver with the ability to remove barriers to administrative goals.
- Agility to thrive and prioritize in a fast-paced environment with competing demands and deadlines requiring strong multi-tasking skills. .
- Possess a highest level of organization, analysis, perspective, planning, creativity, and energy.
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic and growing team.
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office; ability to learn and leverage databases to obtain donor information and track relevant data. Experience with donor databases a must. Experience with DonorPerfect a plus.
- Employment Eligibility Verification
- Must have reliable transportation and maintain regular attendance.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- HIF prides itself in offering its employees a competitive salary.
- HIF offers a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as paid sick and vacation time benefits, and 401k.
- HIF employees benefit from a flexible and fun working environment where the focus is placed on outcomes and success.
Resumes and cover letters can be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com. Resumes submitted without cover letters will not be considered. Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.